Expedition to el Mirador Peten
We are currently trying to promote low-impact eco-tours this expedition is operated by the local people of the Carmelita Community, a village of Peten very near the Mexican border. The people of Carmelita have always depended on the surrounding forest for their livelihood and have extracted these non-timber forest products in a sustainable manner. We believe that by promoting this eco-tour-expedition we will create another viable low enviromental impact product for their life sustentation.
The tour explores the lost Pre Classic Maya site of El Mirador which was four times as grandiose as Tikal. This impressive site remains one of the most isolated and understudied of the great Maya ruins. It is largely unexcavated, these ruins are still intact, we have more detailed information and maps about El Mirador here. Come and explore El Mirador, one of the greatest legacies left by the Maya Civilization!
El Mirador 1 to 5 Days
Five days searching for the lost city of the Maya. Long walks listening to majestic rain forest, nights of stories and mysticism, fantastic sunrises, exotic birds, great food and the warmth and professionalism of our communitarian guides.
We Visit: Community of Carmelita, El Nacimiento Camp site, El Mirador National Park.
Facts about the Route:
- Route: Mixed, first part in vehicle, then long walks or horseback
- Characteristics of the traveler: Travelers with excellent physical condition, capacity to ride horses and walk.
- Terrain: Rugged land and during rainy season very muddy
- Daily distances: 35 Km. (8 hrs. Approximately)
- Humidity average: 85%
- Temperature average: 36 degrees Celsius or 96.8 Fahrenheit.
- Size of the group: 12 people maximum
|5:00 a.m.||Shuttle from your hotel to the National Airport (Avenida Hincapié y 18 Calle, Hangar # 15)|
|05:15 a.m.||Check in at airline counter.|
|6:30 a.m.||Flight from Guatemala to Flores by TAG Airlines (Saab or Embraer craft).|
|6:00 A.M.||Arrival at Mundo Maya Airport and meet our representative.|
|7:30 a.m.||Departure from Flores to the Carmelite Community at 83 kms away in a four wheel drive.|
|11:00 a.m.||Brief introduction about the trip with Carmelita staff and then departure from the community of Carmelita.|
|12:00 p.m.||We stop at the The Guacute campground, lunch.|
|15:00||Departure to the archaeological site of El Tintal.|
|17:00||Arrival at El Tintal and visit the site.|
|18:00 - 19:00||Dinner|
Departure from El Tintal Archaeological Site.
|13:00||Lunch and Visit the archaeological site "The Dead"|
|15:00||Arrival to the El Mirador archaeological site and camping.|
|17:00 to 18:00||Watching sunset|
|5:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.||Watch Sunrise|
|8:00 a.m.||Tour of the archaeological site (includes refreshments) Explore the giant Maya Pre-classic city of El Mirador. Many archeologists speculate that El Mirador was the first major organized settlement of the ancient Maya. The ruins are of such staggering size and proportion that they dominate more popular sites like Tikal. El Tigre, the largest pyramid complex ever built by the Maya, sits in El Mirador. It is over 18 stories high with a base size of 18,000 sq. meters. The extensive site lies (for the most part) unexcavated and occupies over 16 sq. km. of primary forest.|
|7:00 a.m.||Breakfast will be served at El Mirador camp site.|
|8:00 a.m.||We begin our walk back to Carmelita.|
|11:00 a.m.||Break and lunch box in "The Zompopero".|
|15:00||Arrival at the archaeological site of El Tintal.|
|6:00 a.m.||Breakfast at the archaeological site El Tintal.|
|7:00 a.m.||Departure from the community of Carmelita.|
|11:30 a.m.||Trip on a four wheel drive auto to Flores.|
|17:00||Check at TAG ticket counter.|
Flight from Flores to Guatemala.
Price & Additional Information
Price per person
Contact us for our special group prices!
Tour Price Includes:
- Collective shuttle service: Hotel / Airport / Hotel.
- Round trip ticket Guatemala Flores Guatemala with TAG Airline.
- 4 nights’ accommodation in camping (tents, hammocks, mosquito nets and blankets).
- All meals (4 breakfasts, 5 lunches, 4 dinners, purified water).
- Travel in accordance with the program of the tour to the archaeological site El Mirador.
- Community Guide in Spanish, authorized by the INGUAT (Guatemalan Tourist Commission Office).
- Mules to transport food and supplies for the trip.
- Cooks trained and experienced in travel conditions.
- First aid kit, including antivenom.
Tour Price Does Not Include:
- Meals not mentioned within the above itinerary.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Mules chair per person.
- Guide in English or another language other than Spanish for Carmelita Expedition.
NOTE: There is no insurance included of any kind.
The following is a list of the equipment that according to our judgment works best in our trips. Nevertheless, is neither mandatory, nor exhaustive and therefore we encourage you to make all kinds of suggestions and inquiries, we are at your entire disposition to hear them.
- Long comfortable trousers (quick-drying)
- Comfortable shorts (quick-drying)
- Long-sleeve shirts (quick-drying)
- Light raincoat
- Fleece jackets
- Hat or cap
- Hiking boots (if your shoes are new, we highly recommend to wear them at least one week prior to the beginning of the trip, in order to get use to them)
- Flash light and extra batteries
- Bug repellent
- Photo and-or video camera and spare rolls of film
- Prescription or daily-use medicine
- Personal use articles
- Small towel
- Multipurpose knife
- The expedition to El Mirador is tailor made to fit the wishes of our guests. Hence, our schedule is flexible and relaxed. Let us know in advance of your plans or ideas. The guide and staff have the option of changing the times and itinerary according to weather conditions, safety and well being of participants.
- All Tours with symbol (*) require a minimum of 3 persons to operate.
- All tours require reservations in advance.
- The prices are per person in USD and subject to changes.
- Prices departing from Antigua.
Share with Friends:Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google+